There’s a lot to juggle when you’re arrested for a DUI. Court hearings, financial repercussions, and understanding the process ahead can be overwhelming, but the threat of losing your job can make managing the conviction even more difficult.
No one expects to get a DUI, but it can have a damaging impact on your career.
Here, we’ve outlined the various ways a DUI can affect your job. Whether you lose your professional license or are unable to commute to work during your suspension, it’s important to set the expectations for how a DUI can impact your career.
Loss of Professional License
Several professions are particularly strict when it comes to receiving a DUI. In these cases, you’re likely to lose your professional license and the ability to perform your job after a DUI. In these professions, you may also be required to report to your employer if and when you are convicted of committing a crime. Depending on your job and employer, even a first-time offense may result in losing your job.
Some of the professions for which you could lose your license after a DUI include:
- Health professionals: Doctors, nurses, and other health professionals face serious consequences after a DUI, including loss of professional license.
- Insurance and real estate: In the insurance and real estate industries, a DUI can indicate that the individual’s judgement is affected, and they are no longer able to perform their job.
- Lawyer: Violating the law as a lawyer is a serious offense. Though a DUI arrest doesn’t always trigger a required report to the bar, a conviction would. In that case, you could get disbarred.
- Accountant: In many states, a DUI conviction can trigger your state’s board of accountancy to review the case and consider revoking your license.
- Professional drivers: If you drive for a living, getting arrested for a DUI or receiving a DUI conviction is a big no-no and can result in you losing your job.
If you’re an at-will employee, your employer has the right to terminate you for any reason, including a DUI charge. Keep in mind that federal laws protect against discrimination based on previous convictions when you’re applying for a job, but if you’re already employed, your employer can use a DUI charge as reason for termination.
Suspended Driving Privileges and Missing Work
Even if your DUI doesn’t immediately impact your job, it can impact on your ability to show up over the long-term, putting you at risk for future termination.
- License suspension: Once arrested for a DUI, your license will be suspended. If you rely on driving to get you to and from work, you’ll have to find a temporary solution so that you can continue to get to work on time. Understandably, this can create significant obstacles: the cost of rideshares and taxis may be too prohibitive, but public transportation may be inaccessible or unreliable.
- Loss of insurance: In some states, you may have difficulty finding a company willing to insure you after a DUI. If your insurance company is unwilling to insure you, this may prevent you from securing reliable and safe transportation to and from work.
- Missing work: Court appearances, jail time, and mandatory driving education courses can make it difficult to stick to your regular working schedule. Even if your employer decides to keep you on after your arrest, they may decide to fire you if you’re unable to keep consistent working hours.
Unfortunately, losing your job can be particularly difficult given the high costs associated with a DUI. Though the total cost of a DUI will vary state to state, it can set you back thousands of dollars—which is when keeping a steady income will become even more essential.
How Low Cost Interlock Can Help
Dealing with a DUI isn’t easy. Our mission is simple: We’re here to help you get back on the road easily, safely, and affordably.
Our devices are the easiest, cheapest, fastest, and most reliable interlock devices on the market. We use the latest technology to ensure that your readings are accurate so that you can get back on the road as soon as possible.
If you decide to use Low Cost Interlock as your ignition interlock device provider, you can schedule an installation at your convenience. Our team will quickly and efficiently install your device at the time of your choosing, getting you back on the road safely.
After installation, our customer care representatives are available to you if you have questions or need calibration services.